Brown Chickpeas or Kala Chana are a legume popular in Asian and American cooking. They have a nutty flavour. This ‘desi’ variety is smaller and darker than the ‘Kabuli chana’ variety but has more dietary fibre.
– Kala Chana is a good source of dietary fibre, and hence also considered helpful in weight loss
– It is rich in protein and low in fat and therefore a good addition to a vegetarian diet
– Contains important minerals and vitamins like potassium, sodium, and calcium, folate, Vitamin B6 etc.
– As it is rich in iron, it helps reduce anemia
– Brown Chickpeas can be cooked in an onion-tomato gravy.
– Kala chana is especially prepared as a dry dish during Navaratri and served with Halwa and puris.
– It can be added to chaats and other snacks after soaking and sprouting.